college mcp-logo-header-white mcpherson

Diaz Receives Kansas Independent College Scholarship

Wendy Diaz, junior at McPherson College

Wendy Diaz, junior at McPherson College

Wendy Diaz was recognized by the Kansas Independent College Foundation (KICF) for excellence in academics, character, and integrity, along with her commitment to the value of a private college education in Kansas. She was among 19 students from private colleges across Kansas who received the Maud Wyatt Recognition Scholarship presented by KICF.

Diaz, from McPherson, is a junior at McPherson College majoring in Spanish with a minor in Business Administration. At McPherson College, she has been involved in the Student Debt Project and the Student Activities Board.

She has worked in the ESL program at a local elementary school, teaching students from different countries to read, speak, listen, and write fluently in English. She is currently gaining valuable business experience as an intern for Swindoll, Jantzen, Hawk & Loyd accounting office. She plans to work in business after graduation and integrate her Spanish-speaking skills into her professional and personal life to help others.

“I started hearing great things about McPherson College in high school,” Diaz said. “Many people are surprised when they find out I’m going to college in the town where I live but being happy depends on your attitude. When I made my first campus visit, I knew from the minute I walked through the doors this was the place for me. I was impressed by the facilities, professors, and small classes. The college offers scholarships for students in McPherson County, which helps with tuition. I also participate in the Student Debt Project, which has prepared me for success by focusing on my personal and professional life, and helping me reach my goal to graduate without any debt.”

The scholarship is awarded to one student from each Kansas Independent College Association member institution. Recipients are all full-time, degree-seeking students who maintain GPAs of 3.5 or above.