college mcp-logo-header-white mcpherson

McPherson College Announces Spring Horizon Fund Grant Recipients

For more than a decade, McPherson College has been encouraging the entrepreneurial ideas of its students by awarding mini-grants that help students develop innovative solutions to common problems. With more than 300 grants awarded, the college recently announced the latest recipients of the Horizon Fund Grants.

This spring, the Horizon Fund provides grants to six students with ideas ranging from handmade jewelry to automotive detailing. The individual grants range from $100 to $500, and students can reapply for continued funding of existing Horizon Fund Grant projects.

Abbey Archer-Rierson, chief of staff and head of the entrepreneurship program at McPherson College, said, “The Horizon Fund Grant is just one of many ways McPherson College demonstrates its commitment to entrepreneurship and supports entrepreneurial students on our campus. The grants have supported a variety of wildly creative ideas, and this most recent round of funding is no exception.”

Recipients of the spring 2024 Horizon Fund Grants are:

• Maria Miranda, graphic design & photography, Great Bend, Kan. – handmade jewelry – “I want to create unique pieces of jewelry that embrace Mexican culture. Jewelry is a form of self-expression and I think it is important to provide unique pieces that allow people to do so.”
  • Cameron Wright, graphic design, Denison, Texas – photography – “My business would focus not only on professional headshots but also on creating conceptual photography for galleries.”
  • Malia Pfeiff, Elementary Education with communication minor, Moundridge, Kan. – appreciation baskets for teachers – “I want to create bi-monthly appreciation baskets for teachers at the local elementary schools that include school supplies, snacks, and more.”
  • Dyron Dixon, psychology, Leander, Texas – photography – “I think people’s beauty needs to be shared whether it be through music, painting, or photography, and I think I could help with that.”
  • Derika Helms, business administration with graphic design minor, Inman, Kan. – graphic design and marketing services – “My goal is to help people establish a strong brand identity that effectively communicates their message with their target audience.”
  • Robert Schonberner, automotive restoration management, Omaha, Neb. – automotive detailing – “I would be meeting the needs of people who want their vehicles to look presentable inside and out, and people who need to sell their cars.”